Job Posting Communications Lead
Full Time, 14-Month Contract (remote)
Would you love to bring your writing skills to the table, juggle multiple creative projects and play an exciting role in supporting social justice leaders around the world?
Spring is a social enterprise and global capacity accelerator for social and climate justice leaders. Our programs have provided coaching and immersive training in facilitation and financial innovation to more than 800 organizations, such as the Ford Foundation, FRIDA-The Young Feminist Fund, Derechos Digitales, Fund for Global Human Rights and many more.
We work to support leaders of system change to navigate complexity, power, conflict, and funding while joining forces across silos, sectors and worldviews. We see leadership as a collaborative practice of being in service to people and planet. It’s the ability to create and sustain the space, creativity and resources needed for people to imagine, unite and realize their visions for change. Our core values are justice, connection to our communities and the transformation of human potential.
As the Communications Lead (maternity cover) you’d be joining a small (but mighty!) core team of 9, along with 40+ associates in more than a dozen countries, to play a critical role in the team’s strategic, programmatic and public engagement work. This is a great position for someone looking to join a diverse, caring and playful team that likes to think outside the box, work at a fast pace, and tackle complex challenges. There’s a lot of space for your individual talents, interests, ideas and personal leadership development along the way.
Spring is an equal opportunity employer. We’re a group of people who are always learning as we remain joyfully accountable to global justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in our work, hiring and employment practices. We celebrate and are enriched by the differences among us, finding common purpose in our values and our vision of a life-sustaining future for everyone. Applications are encouraged from historically underrepresented and equity-seeking communities around the world. Accessibility accommodation will be provided in all parts of the onboarding and work process.
The Communications Lead will work with multiple stakeholder groups (the core team, associates, program clients, partners and vendors) and under the guidance of the CEO to support internal and external communications. They are responsible for managing communications on various platforms including:
- Implementing and updating an annual communications strategy, and related plans, in fulfillment of Spring’s Strategic Framework 2022-2025.
- Keeping the Spring editorial calendar up-to-date as well as coordinating both internal and external communications, including a monthly e-newsletter.
- Working with other team members to maintain Spring’s client database via the customer relationship management (CRM) technology.
- Monitoring and reporting on key progress indicators to generate insights, deepen engagement and improve the effectiveness of both communications and programs.
- Coordinating and carrying out internal communications to the core team and associates (and vendors, as needed). This includes, but is not limited to, weekly and monthly team meetings, whole-of-Spring development sessions every two months, and other internal updates needed for cross-functional integration.
- Coordinating and carrying out public-facing events, including monthly online Leap of Leadership meetups for social justice leaders and occasional social media lives or webinars.
- Working collaboratively with the program leads to develop and support program communications to participants (and clients, as needed).
- Working with the CEO and the Program Development Lead to support proposal drafting, presentations to potential clients and other business development activities.
- Ensuring brand consistency across all communication platforms, assets and outputs. Support the core team and associates to maintain brand consistency.
- Leading the generation and dissemination of engaging online content across Spring’s social media, website, and email platforms (and print, as needed), including sourcing relevant content from social justice and philanthropy actors and media.
- Working with website developers and keeping Spring’s website and digital program delivery platforms updated and consistent, including staying up to date with digital technology and security trends.
- Working with vendors to develop graphic design and video (and other multimedia) content design for public-facing engagement.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of experience in a similar communications role in a team environment, including coordinating and measuring the success of online communications campaigns.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate cross-culturally.
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English, plus a demonstrated ability for nuanced and compelling written storytelling — including being able to understand and communicate issues through multiple perspectives.
- Familiarity working with virtual collaboration technology, including Zoom and Google Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to create visual content using tools like Canva and running email and/or social media campaigns to build awareness and retain audiences.
- Experience working with relevant communications tools and platforms, including back-end website editing, CRM technology, and social media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIN, Twitter and scheduling tools like Sendible or Hootsuite).
- Lived experience in human rights, climate or other social justice movements.
If you don’t have these qualifications, we still want to hear from you! Any of the experiences (in no particular order) will be considered assets.
- Fluency in more than one language (especially Spanish or Portuguese)
- Experience in online event management and marketing
- Experience in a senior communications role
CAPABILITIES & COMPETENCIES:
- Committed to global social and environmental justice
- Deeply values equity, diversity and decolonization
- Demonstrates strong initiative and a desire for self-development
- Demonstrates strong judgment and anticipates the needs of others on the team
- Strong abilities to organize work done in teams
- Resourcefulness, adaptability and initiative in problem solving
- Is comfortable juggling multiple assignments and priorities
- Fosters a culture of excellence and accountability
- Builds trusting relationships and works collaboratively
- Able to work independently from home, including flexible hours (occasionally)
WHY WORK FOR SPRING?
- 3 weeks of vacation + holiday office closure
- Competitive benefits
- Opportunities for professional development
- Flexible work hours
- Ability to work remotely
- Commitment to collaboration, innovation and a culture of care within the team
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, 14-month contract (August 1, 2022 - September 30, 2023)
SALARY RANGE: 65,000 to 75,000 CAD
LOCATION: Remote. This position is open to anyone in the Global South or Global North. Occasional in-person meetings (when public health regulations permit), including travel to in-person gatherings in or outside of Canada.
REQUIREMENTS: Must have access to a computer with camera, mobile phone and reliable, hi-speed internet
To apply, please send the following to [email protected] with “Communications Lead” in the subject line by June 24, 2022:
- Two writing samples
- One example of design work (e.g., a social media graphic (with link) or a slide deck)
- 1-page cover letter (250 words maximum) that includes your responses to the following questions: 1) How do you relate to Spring’s purpose and vision? 2) What interests you most about this position? 3) How would your skills and experiences (personal and professional translate into success in this position?
- Include in the body of the email where you found the job posting (e.g., LinkedIn, Spring website etc.).
*** Please send your cover letter, writing examples and CV as a single PDF attachment with the file name “Communications Lead_[firstname]_[lastname]”.
Applications will be reviewed until June 24th, 2022 at 11:59 ET and shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews after all applications have been reviewed.